Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Kiss Me Kill Me by Lauren Henderson | Book Review


Reading Group:  I'm a little stumped as to what to say here because this isn't the first time I've read this book or even this series.  The first time I read it was a long time ago...I was in fifth grade or something crazy like that, and although the book wasn't "inappropriate" for a fifth grader, I don't think I would ever recommend it to someone that young.  So I'm going to go with 7/8th grade+ for this series. 

Personal Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Synopses: When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.

Cover: The cover of this book has a girl kissing a boy on the cheek.  You could say this is Scarlett and Dan, but she never kissed him or any other boy on the cheek so I guess the cover is just to show a kiss.

My Review: As I said, this isn't the first time I've read this book, but it's one I think about pretty often.  It was just one of those books that stuck with me.  Scarlett ditches her friends when the popular kids invite her to a party, and when she goes, she gets the chance to kiss her crush...her first kiss, his last.  He has an allergic reaction and dies right in front of her.  Scarlett then gets sent to her Grandmother's school and hopes she can put the horrific event behind her, but when she gets a note saying Dan's death wasn't her fault, Scarlett goes back to the scene of the crime to find answers.  She discovers the chips placed on the bar in front of Dan were covered in the peanut oil that killed him.  Scarlett eating the chips and transferring the oil to Dan was not part of the plan to kill him, he was just supposed to eat them on his own.  But why would someone want to kill Dan?  What could that person gain?
I like mystery books because I like to try to guess what happens before the truth is revealed.  And even though I've read this series before I don't remember a lot of details and I'm interested in rediscovering them.  This is also the first time in a long time I've read a traditional series where you have to read the next book to get some answers.  Usually, I read Christina Lauren or Jaimie McGuire who write series, but really they're a bunch of stand alone novels that overlap, which obviously I love, but I'm excited to read this type of series.


Click to stay connected:
Main Twitter: @juliann_guerra
Second Twitter: @writerjewels
Instagram: juliann_guerra
Second Instagram: writerjewels
Tumblr: juliann-guerra
Goodreads: Juliann Guerra
Wattpad: @writerjewels
Pinterest: Juliann Guerra
Spotify: juliann.guerra
Bloglovin: Juliann Guerra
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Juliann Guerra
Blogger Templates by pipdig