Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen | Book Review

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen



Reading Group: High School+

Personal Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Given Summary: Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. 
 
He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Cover: This cover isn't really a big deal.  I mean, it's pretty, but it's just a girl walking down a boardwalk.  And it's not even the boardwalk described in the book.

My Review: I've read all of Sarah Dessen's books, but for some reason I stopped after I read What Happened to Goodbye so I was kind of excited to read this one.  However, I had some mixed thoughts about it.  Having already read Dessen's works I knew the boyfriend Emaline started out with wasn't going to be her boyfriend throughout the whole thing, but I did not like Theo.  First off, he was way too much like her father.  Which obviously was done on purpose, but I didn't understand why Emaline didn't see it.  Then I thought Theo was going to be similar, but better than her dad, but then he ended up being pretty sleazy and I was very happy they didn't end up together.  I thought Luke was great, sure he kind of cheated on Emaline and I understand that once that happens you may want to take some time off from someone, but he was super apologetic and it was clear that he loved Emaline.  The end of the book comes to them being friends and I kind of read it as a hint that they still had a chance to get back together someday, but I just wish they did before the book ended (However, I know I am super biased about this kind of thing.  You guys know I love love.)  I did like that Emaline spent the summer trying to figure out who she was and what she really wanted to do and I absolutely loved her little brother.  I think he was exactly who Emaline needed in her life, someone younger who maybe doesn't understand everything she's going through, but whose there to give an honest opinion and take her mind off of things.  I did enjoy this book and I would definitely recommend it to friends.  

Click to stay connected:
Main Twitter: @juliann_guerra
Second Twitter: @writerjewels
Instagram: juliann_guerra
Second Instagram: writerjewels
Tumblr: juliann-guerra
Goodreads: Juliann Guerra
Wattpad: @writerjewels
Pinterest: Juliann Guerra
Spotify: juliann.guerra
Bloglovin: Juliann Guerra
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Juliann Guerra
Blogger Templates by pipdig