Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler | Book Review

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler



Reading Group: Freshman in High School+

Personal Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Given Summary: Paradise wasn't supposed to suck.

Not the state of being, but a resort in the Caribbean.

Jena, Dakota, Skye, and Owen are all there for different reasons, but at Paradise their lives became tangled together in ways none of them can predict.  Paradise will change them all.

It will change Jena, whose first brush with romance takes her that much closer to having a life, and not just reading about those infinitely cooler and more exciting.

It will change Dakota, who needs the devastating truth about his past to make him realize that he doesn't have to be a jerk just because people think he's one.

It will change Skye, a heartbreakingly beautiful actress, who much come to terms with the fact that for once she has to stop playing a role or face the consequences.

And it will change Owen, who has never risked anything before and who will take the leap from his online life to a real one all because of a girl he met at Paradise...

From confused to confident and back again, one thing's certain: Four months after it all begins, none of them will ever be the same. 

Cover: The cover of this book is a pink, string heart and a blue, string heart coming together and making an area of purple.  One thing I do wish (and I have no idea why this bother me so much but it does) was that the purple was more ombre.  It goes pink, purple, blue and I think it would be better if it faded into purple like the colors slowly came together, the way the characters come together in the book.

My Review: I feel like I was slightly too old for this book.  I enjoyed it, but I know I would have enjoyed it more if I was a freshman in High School versus a freshman in College.  It's probably because all of the characters were around 15-years-old and even though I'm only nineteen there were moments when I was reading where I would just think that they would have such bigger things to worry about once high school was over.  To be honest, I also wasn't a huge fan of Jena and she was the one who started the story off and I thought she would be the one to set the tone for the book.  She was the one that I would just shake my head at and think about how the problems we have at the beginning of high school are so stupid by the time we graduate.  I really liked Dakota and Skye because their problems were less superficial than those of Jena and Owen.  Granted though they still had moments were I was just like what are you doing???  So basically this story took me a little while to get into, but once I did I was able to enjoy it.  Topics like family and grief and loneliness are relatable to a lot of people, but like I said I definitely think a younger me would have appreciated it more than present me.  I think my favorite part about this book is how the characters lives all come together.  The two boys and the two girls happen to be in the same vacation spot in the same week and then for months after they're still connected.  I like the idea that the people you meet in one moment of your life may come back into it and play a bigger role later.  It's kind of like the six degrees of separation and I just find that absolutely fascinating.      

Smile!  I'll talk to you soon!xxx
Click to stay connected:
Main Twitter: @juliann_guerra
Second Twitter: @writerjewels
Instagram: juliann_guerra
Second Instagram: writerjewels
Tumblr: juliann-guerra
Goodreads: Juliann Guerra
Wattpad: @writerjewels
Pinterest: Juliann Guerra
Spotify: juliann.guerra
Bloglovin: Juliann Guerra
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Juliann Guerra
Blogger Templates by pipdig